Vanessa-Mae in the Mail On Sunday of September 19th

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Vanessa-Mae in the Mail On Sunday of September 19th

Post by Xanthippe »

I found an article in The Mail Sunday of September 19th. The page is not generally available, so i paste the text below. It is a report on an interview the paper had with our noodles Vanessa-Mae recently. The content of the article and interview resembles the Hello Magazine interview that I posted ysterday in the other topic.

--------Here is the text---------------------------

VANESSA-MAE shivered as she stepped out into the fading autumn sunshine. There, lurking in the shadows, was the figure of a man watching, waiting, and then following, as she walked down the street to the park with her pet sharpei, Gaspard.

Pulling her long woollen overcoat tight, the diminutive violinist tried to ignore him as he began pestering her, asking to walk alongside and telling her how much he liked her music.

In the end, jumpy, nervous, and becoming more angry by the moment, she told him in no uncertain terms to leave her alone. It was the first time in a decade that Vanessa-Mae had actually spoken to David Martin. But the man has still managed to be a constant, unwanted and threatening presence in her life.

In one of the worst cases of celebrity stalking in recent years, the 56-year-old unemployed loner has harassed the classical musician, sending her letters and presents every few days for years on end, trying to reach her backstage at concerts and turning up at her home at all hours of the day and night. Finally, after he was found outside her house armed with a lethal lock knife and clutching two of her CDs, the former hospital technician was given a six-month jail sentence.

He was released three weeks ago and has been served with a restraining order to keep away.

Now Vanessa-Mae, who has built up a [pounds sterling] 35million fortune, can only sit and wait to see if - or maybe when - he will return. In the first interview about her ordeal, she told me: 'It does make me feel uncomfortable that the police say he will probably return but what can I do? It's impossible to know the best way to handle it.

'I met him on my first major tour 11 years ago.

He was hanging around wanting autographs.

That's cool, but people normally do that for one or two shows and then you don't see them again.

This, though, was for the whole 16-date tour of the UK. We also discovered that at one of the shows he had managed to help out backstage in the merchandising department. Then the letters and the presents started arriving.

'Last autumn I had a bit of an altercation with him. He was following me when I was walking my dog. I said, "Really, now, stop." I was brave. It was a weekend, it was daylight, there were people milling around. But all the same I was alone with my dog and he deluded himself into thinking that it was a sparring, flirting thing.

'When somebody's there following you from your home to the park saying, "Please let me walk with your dog" there's a moment when you have to say: "Please leave me alone", but in this case it ended up making things worse.

I was worried because I was recording and coming home late every night.

But I decided not to let him rule my life.

'A lot of people ask me if I'm frightened, but as far as I'm concerned, the moment I change my life and stop going out, he has succeeded in forging that ten-year relationship with me. It would be a connection and link I have never encouraged. If I in any way alter the way I'm living then he has got to me.

And I'm not going to let him do that.

'Maybe there are people who would feel sorry for themselves in that situation or take it is an opportunity to surround themselves 24/7 with a boyfriend or friends but I'm not like that. To have a choice is the most important thing to me and I'm going to go about my life as I've chosen to live it.' THIS is an important principle for Vanessa-Mae for reasons that go far deeper than the unwanted attentions of a celebrity stalker.

Born in Singapore to Pamela, who is Chinese, and Vorapong Vanakorn, an English hotelier of Thai descent, Vanessa-Mae moved to London at the age of three after her parents divorced.

Pamela married lawyer Graham Nicholson, who adopted her and who she now considers to be her real father.

Pamela was a domineering and deeply ambitious mother and marshalled her daughter's musical talents from the moment she arrived in Britain.

By the age of eight Vanessa-Mae was taken out of school for half of every day to concentrate on her violin. At ten, she had already given her first live performance and by the age of 12, Pamela was feeding her caffeine to perk her up before going on stage with the London Mozart Players.

'My parents plied me with caffeine because I was just so chilled out on stage,' she said. 'I was never nervous, I think because I was always able to separate it from the real world. The first time I went on stage, when I was ten, our dog had just given birth and all I could think was, "I want to go back to my puppies." I always felt there was a life somewhere else.' Except that as far as Vanessa-Mae's mother was concerned there wasn't any other life outside of the music. The violinist released her first single, Toccata & Fugue, as a 15-year-old schoolgirl and created a storm by wearing a clinging wet T-shirt on the cover.

She gave up her studies, and any semblance of a normal life, a few months afterwards. Pamela, by now her co-manager, controlled everything from the concert dates to practice times and where and when she was allowed to see her friends.

'I didn't really see my friends when I was growing up. I wasn't at school much and then I was never allowed to go to sleepovers because it was "too dangerous",' she said.

'I was 20 before I walked down a street by myself. I remember it was Kensington High Street in London. I was also given my first set of keys at the same age. It was a big thing for me because I never went out alone. I had bodyguards when I went out with my girlfriends and on dates with boys, who were vetted to make sure they were not unsavoury.

'David Martin was around all this time and another man apparently left cows' hearts as a present for me, but not being allowed to see my friends was nothing to do with a stalker.

'I can just about understand the boyfriend thing - but girlfriends that you've known since you were four years old - for God's sake! The moment came when I wondered whether this was maternal love or control over a daughter. I decided that not being able to go to sleepovers had nothing to do with stalkers. So very belatedly, I broke free.' On her 21st birthday Vanessa-Mae told her mother she no longer wanted her to be her co-manager.

She moved out of the family home and bought her own house in Kensington with her boyfriend of fiveanda-half years, Lionel Catelan, a French wine dealer.

Vanessa-Mae had hoped that the split with her mother would be on a purely professional basis, but instead it spelt the end of any kind of relationship at all. They are now permanently estranged with little hope of a reconciliation.

'It was a very hard thing to do.

It's easy to look up to my mother.

She's very charismatic, she's very intelligent and what made it even more difficult was that there's so much that I respect about her.

'But my mother couldn't separate the fact that she was my mother and my manager. I wasn't just a daughter to her, I was always an artist. I would have been happy to be mother and daughter, rather than manager and artist - but for her it was both or nothing.

'The distinctions between the two had become so blurred that it began to make me resent being an artist and resent the fact that my career was so important to my own mother. You cannot dictate to your mother how she should behave towards you, but she wasn't leaving any room for me to breathe.

'I suppose I hoped that stopping as manager and artist would release the tension and allow more fun in our relationship. But it didn't.' Vanessa-Mae now successfully manages her own career and is about to release Choreography, an album inspired by different dance rhythms from around the world.

BUT Vanessa-Mae and her mother remain estranged. They won't even attend the same family parties. The only time they see each other is when they bump into each other at their favourite Chinese restaurant in Bayswater, West London.

'When that happens we say Hi to each other but it's as superficial as that really,' she said. 'It's very tough, because she was everything to me. She was like my sister, my friend, my mother, my manager.

'Even though I may have resented my teenage years and not been able to see my friends and do normal things, I thank her for being the push in my life.

Children can have a talent but there's got to be an adult to help them realise that and without her I would not have started a career in music.

'But now it's very complicated.

There was a split financially as a manager and an artist and there's a whole mother-daughter thing. It gets very tricky. I still see my dad all the time. He and Mum divorced a while ago but we talk all the time and see each other once a week.

'It's weird because I see my adoptive father more than my natural father or my natural mother.

But my father is all about unconditional love and he's stable. It's great that somebody's there that's just ... a dad.

'It's not easy for me but you've just got to get on with it. I don't know what Mum thinks about it all now. I know she's very proud, but at the end of the day the choice was hers.

'The thing with my mother is that unless you're going to live with her, her way, she'd rather not have you at all.' Vanessa-Mae is now determined to live life by her own rules. It is a freedom for which she has already paid a great price. So there is simply no way she can allow David Martin to ruin it in any way.

'I'm not going to let him get to me. When I walked away from my mother I was happy not to look back. I can walk away from him, too. I will not let him spoil things.' . Vanessa-Mae's new album, Choreography, is released on October 18 on Sony Classical. She will perform at the Royal Festival Hall on October 21.

------------------------------End-----------------

I think Vanessa-Mae loves and admires her mother very much. I feel sad for her that their relationship has deterioted after the formal professional split. Vanessa-Mae did this with the best intentions because she felt she couldn't function anymore with her mother acting as her manager instead of receiving the love of her as the daughter.

I also think that Vanessa-Mae approaches the stalker issue very bravely and decisively. I admire her courage very much but hope that she has taken adequate precations to make sure she is safe.
Glenn
VMF Elite

Post by Glenn »

Wow!! :shock:

Thank you Rijko for posting this article.
Glenn
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

Thanks Rijko.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

I find this a moving interview, with all that has happened our girl remains
strong.

Thank you Rijko for posting it.

I think that her autobiography will make very good reading.
Now that this stalker business is over (fingers crossed) Vanessa will
be able to finish it.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Ps..

:wave: Glenn :hug: :kiss: Hi stranger
-----Arioch------