Young violinists

Anything goes...
Gatis
VMF Elite

Post by Gatis »

Hey guys, a couple of days ago when I was at record shop and bought best of Vanessa cd, at the violinists section I saw a Hillary Hahn cd, she seems to be a young violinist and the people at the record shop said that her new cd is great for violin music lovers, have someone from you had heard about her? ???
Gatis
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I possess two cd's of Hilary Hahn. On her debut cd Hilary plays two partita's of Bach and a Sonate for Violin. On the her second cd, Hilary recorded Beethoven's violin concerto and Bernstein's Seranade for solo violin, strings, harp and percusion.

Although Hilary is by no doubt technically a very skilled violinist, her sound is lacking expresion, emotions and originality. I saw Hilary perform on tv a couple of times and I was dissapointed every time. She is still very young - I think 2 years younger than Vanessa-Mae - and she has a lot of time ahead to develop her style and a sound of her own.

This is my opion of course. I know Benji is very positive of her and he disagrees with me. Critics in general support Benji's ideas, but I've read also several reservations in line with my thoughts on Hilary.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

The are several other interesting contemporary violinists, better than hilary Hahn. To mention a few:

Kyung Wha Chung
Anne sophie Mutter
Joshua Bell
Maxim Vengerov
Nigel Kennedy
Sara Chang
Midori

I consider Chang and Midori more or less comparable with Hilary Hahn: technically very skilled, but.....!! The first 5 on the list are all very good and all have something special of their own.

Non of them can compete with the versatility and diversity of Vanessa-Mae, in my opinion.
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

Nigel Kennedy is good too... I really like it....
-ThIs MeSsAgE WaS PoStEd By:-

...ArUp, ThE OnE ThAt AlWaYs MaKeS YoU HaPpY...
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Did someone speak Hilary Hahn... contact benji on her...

I've only heard a few recordings, and not that i didn't like what i heard...it was just expressionless to me, it was just like notes on a page. No doubt shes...technically capable etc.. but i personally enjoy the music over technicality. Besides...ugh when she plays shes so stiff.. (eek!) ??? (i luv that smiley) ???
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

didn't have music of her... Maybe I must get to a record store...

Gatis
VMF Elite

Post by Gatis »

Well, I think I must find some piece of music in mp3 from her on internet and then I will decide, buy or not to buy her cd!
Gatis
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

Hai guys...

today I went to the music store.... Have listen to
hilary Hahn.... Must say, she is really good!!!!!! have buy a cd of her.... A tip from me.......

aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Since you also mention Nigel Kennedy, arup, may I suggest trying to get his version of Girl From Ipanema. I know it's a totally overplayed piece but his version is awesome.

I haven't heard all that much of Hilary Hahn.

I changed violin teacher several months ago because my old teacher was retiring. The one I had was cool, easygoing. The one I have now is cool, easygoing, but so hard out picky on things like technique! And you know, being a pianist, I keep getting the "oh but it's understandable - you're a pianist!" comment. But pianists can hear what they're doing... most of the time... uh, sometimes. ???
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

Thnax Haidee for the tip... I think I will get this track from Kazaa...

And about that pianist stuff: I really hear what I am doiong so... ??? :D

Ray

Post by Ray »

I went to one of her concerts in May(or April, I forgot which month) here in Hong Kong. I must say that she has a lot of soul and expression in her music. Very sophisticated player in terms of techniques and emotions. She played a movement of the Bach partita in E for encore and I like that one more than Vanessa's version.

oh, and if you're talking about yong violinists. My hero is Vadim Repin. He's turning 31 this month, I don't know if you'd count that as young. But he's a brilliant violinist. Studied under Zakhar Bron, same as Maxim Vengerov. But I think he 's much more brilliant.

Ray
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

Thanx Ray... I will get a look on this guy...